We have 168 private rooms located on four floors. Each resident unit team supports 42 rooms.
The program recognizes that residents each have their own special needs, and care plans are designed to meet these individual needs.
Residents enjoy private rooms and bathrooms, and each wing has a central area for dining and activities. Regular social events are planned, including outings, media reviews, flower arranging, bingo and many more, according to the desires of the residents. In room cable television and telephone connection can be made available.
Three of the Personal Care wings have a wanderguard security system for the protection of residents with cognitive impairment.
For more information on this program, contact the Patient Care Manager at:
Objectives of the Program
One of the main objectives of the Personal Care Units is to develop a community spirit amongst the residents so they will feel at home at Riverview. Other objectives include:
- To provide supportive care for individuals who are no longer capable of living independently in the community.
- To ensure the residents' individual autonomy is preserved.
- To maximize the residents' quality of life.
- To maintain the highest degree of functional independence possible.
- To provide a safe and secure environment.
- Residents must meet the criteria for panelling through their case coordinator in the community.
- Applications go the the WRHA Long Term Care Access Centre.
- The Access Centre forwards the application to the care home selected by the resident.
- Residents are admitted to Riverview's Personal Care Units according to their care needs and the availability of beds.
Care provided on the Personal Care Units
The Personal Care Units offer a full range of professional care, including physician coverage, nursing staff, recreation facilitator, clinical pharmacist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist and pastoral care.